Vanderbilt University Medical Center Advanced Practice Fellow (Colorectal Surgery) in Nashville, Tennessee
*Advanced Nurse Practitioner Fellow ( Colorectal Surgery ) *
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt’s mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Click Here To View The VUMC Promise of Discovery
About the department:
The Division of General Surgery at Vanderbilt is committed to providing medical students, residents and fellows with a wide array of surgical training including laparoscopic and open general surgery procedures in the treatment of morbid obesity, gastroesophageal reflux disease, pancreatic and biliary diseases, hernias and colorectal diseases with the focus of providing the best in patient care.
Job Summary: The Nurse Practitioner (NP) Fellow works in collaboration with and is an integral member of the interdisciplinary health care team. The NP Fellow should have an understanding of evidence-based practice and demonstrate advancing medical and nursing knowledge, clinical/technical competence, sound clinical judgment, professional communication skills, and timely and compliant documentation. The NP Fellow may function in a variety of inpatient and outpatient care settings throughout the fellowship to optimize learning experiences. Focused learning experiences will be provided that enable the NP Fellow to develop and refine essential specialty specific clinical and critical thinking skills. Immersion into an environment of collaborative interdisciplinary care will assure cost effective, quality, patient centered
care. Additionally, an expanded incorporation of evidenced-based practice into care and utilization of improvement processes will be demonstrated by completion of a specialty-relevant project.
· Obtains and documents a health history; performs and documents complete, system- focused, or symptom-specific physical examination, assessment and plan of care.
· In collaboration with a multidisciplinary team, provides healthcare services for primary, acute and complex care of patients and manages patient's overall care, identifying expected outcomes for diagnoses.
· Under the guidance of preceptors & supervising physicians, the NP Fellow orders, performs, interprets & collects data using appropriate assessment techniques, relevant supporting diagnostic information & diagnostic procedures where indicated.
· Forms differential diagnoses and treats acute and chronic conditions in collaboration with an attending/supervising physician or preceptor.
· In collaboration with an attending/supervising physician or preceptor, prescribes therapeutic interventions both pharmacologic, non-pharmacologic and surgical, needed to achieve expected outcomes.
· Provides specialty specific consultation services upon request and within specialty scope of practice in collaboration with an attending/supervising physician or preceptor.
· Utilizes evidence-based, approved practice protocols in planning and implementing care
· In collaboration with an attending/supervising physician or preceptor. Facilitates the patient’s transition between and within health care settings, such as admitting, transferring, and discharging patients.
· Patient and Family Centered Care: Demonstrates care that is compassionate, appropriate and effective for the promotion of health, prevention of illness, treatment of disease and care at the end of life. Within scope of licensure and certification, manages previously diagnosed and undiagnosed patients. Uses health assessment skills to differentiate
between normal, variations of normal and abnormal findings. Employs screening and diagnostic strategies in the development of diagnoses. Prescribes medications within scope of practice. Manages health/illness status of patients and families over time and across the continuum. Provides patient-centered care recognizing cultural diversity and the patient or designee as a full partner in decision-making. Creates a climate of patient- centered care to include confidentiality privacy, comfort, emotional support, mutual trust, and respect. Incorporates cultural and spiritual preferences, values and beliefs into health care. Preserves the patient's control over decision making by negotiating a mutually acceptable plan of care. Integrates ethical principles into decision-making. Uses electronic health record to capture data on variables for the evaluation and management of patient care. Clearly documents findings, assessment and plan of care.
· Clinical Knowledge and Practice: Demonstrates established and evolving biomedical, clinical and social sciences, and the application of their knowledge to patient care and the education of others. Demonstrates knowledge of population focus but also other sciences that support his/her field of practice. Demonstrates knowledge of common and important health issues affecting society and other societies around the globe. Demonstrates commitment in maintaining current evidence based knowledge through continuous learning. Educates patients, families, students and other members of the healthcare team in clinical topics and application of clinical knowledge.
· Practice-Based Scholarly Inquiry and Integration: Demonstrates the use of scientific evidence and methods to investigate, evaluate and improve patient care practices. Anticipates variations in practice and is proactive in implementing interventions to improve quality. Uses best available evidence to continuously improve quality of clinical practice. Generates knowledge from clinical practice to improve practice and patient outcomes. Reviews data and evidences to improve advanced practice. Integrates knowledge from the humanities and sciences within the context of nursing science.
· Interpersonal and Communication Skills: Demonstrates interpersonal and communication skills that enable them to establish and maintain professional relationships with patients, families, and other members of health care teams. Communicates practice knowledge effectively both orally and in writing.
· Professionalism: Demonstrates behaviors that reflect a commitment to continuous professional development, ethical practice, an understanding and sensitivity to diversity and a responsible attitude toward their patients, their profession and society. Participates in medical center committees, professional organizations and activities that influence advanced practice and/or health outcomes of a population focus.
· Health Systems and Policy Management: Demonstrates both an understanding of the contexts and systems in which health care is provided, and the ability to apply this knowledge to improve and optimize health care. Understands the importance for advocacy for improved access, quality and cost-effective care. Minimizes risk to patients and providers at the individual and system level. Collaborates in planning for transitions across the continuum of care. Understands organizational practice and complex systems to contribute to improving health care delivery. Demonstrates commitment to systems improvement such as serving on medical center committees.
In addition to offering a lively community that encourages learning and celebrates diversity, Vanderbilt University Medical Center provides its faculty and staff members with a benefits package that is comprehensive and flexible. Components for benefits-eligible employees include:
Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D)
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
At least 12 months of nursing experience with specific patient populationpreferred although notrequired.
Tennessee Registered Nurse License and Tennessee Advanced Practice NursingLicense with Certificate of Fitness toPrescribe
National Specialty Board Certification in Age-Specific, Specialty PatientPopulation; Eligible for NPI and DEA (which will be required within 3 months ofhire)
Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (ACNP) or Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AG-ACNP) experience prefered
Minimum Required Qualifications
Master's Degree (or equivalent experience)
Certified Nurse Practitioner Required
Registered Nurse Required
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
· US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center at http://www.vanderbilthealth.com/billwilkerson/ ), 12 adult and 10 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
· Truven Health Analytics: among the top 50 cardiovascular hospitals in the U.S.
· Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
· The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
· National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
· Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Tennessee
· Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
· American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Must submit a CV and Personal Statement with Application.
Our Nursing Philosophy
We believe highly skilled and specialized nursing care is essential to Vanderbilt University Medical Center’s mission of quality in patient care, education and research. We believe nursing is an applied art and science focused on helping people, families and communities reach excellent health and well-being.
Learn more about VUMC Nursing:
· Nursing Careers : http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/index.html
· Benefits : http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/benefits.html
· Our Nursing Philosophy : http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/philosophy.html
· Our Nursing Leadership : http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/leadership.html
· Shared Governance : http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/shared-governance.html
· Education & ProfessionalDevelopment : http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/professional-development.html
· Life In Nashville : http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/nashville.html
· VUMC Nursing : http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/root/vumc.php?site=vanderbilt-nursing
Download the Vanderbilt University Medical Center fact book at https://www.vanderbilthealth.com/main/39107 to learn more about our services and facilities.
Job Advanced Practice Nurse/Clinical Nurse Specialist/Nurse Practitioner
Organization: General Surgery 104707
Title: Advanced Practice Fellow (Colorectal Surgery)
Location: TN-Nashville-Medical Center North (MCN)
Requisition ID: 1804337