Vanderbilt University Medical Center Assistant to the Chair in Nashville, Tennessee
Assistantto the Chair
Discover VanderbiltUniversity Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt’s mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Click Here To View The VUMC Promise of Discovery
Vanderbilt’s Department of Emergency Medicine is a leader in clinical care, education, and research. Our combined emergency departments see over 130,000 patients annually. We are the only adult and pediatric Level 1 trauma center in middle Tennessee. Our Chairman and Residency Director make education their number one priority by teaching a morning conference 5 days a week, 52 weeks per year in addition to directing the residency’s five required hours of didactics each week. Every faculty member and upper level resident views excellent teaching as part of his or her responsibilities. For more information, please visit https://vanderbiltem.com/ .
In your exciting, demanding, and rewarding role as Assistant to the Chair, you will provide administrative and business support to the Chairperson and/or other faculty as requested by the Chairperson independently.
Performs key administrative functions that support theChair's leadership in department's patient care, research and educationalactivities.
Manages multifaceted department logistics and Chair'scalendar for meetings and conferences, including travel and catering.
Works closely with other team members to assure theChairperson's preparation for meetings, presentations or otherengagements.
Compiles and prepares correspondence and othermaterials for the Chairperson.
Provides administrative support for internal andexternal committees.
Serves as an ambassador to internal and externalconstituents.
Unflappable and composed
Self-possessed and poised in stressful situations
Resilient when asked to make a sudden change indirection or task
Sense of urgency when appropriate
Strong written and verbal skills
The responsibilities listed are a general overview ofthe position and additional duties may be assigned.
CLERICAL/ADMINISTRATIVE (ADVANCED): - Clerical/Administration is a skill which includes most clerical and administrative functions typically carried out by secretaries, administrators and others who perform a clerical role. Among the duties are: Ad Hoc Reporting, Calendar Maintenance, Data Entry, Document Duplication, Document Filing and Maintenance, Document Preparation, Employee Record Maintenance, Employee Time Recording, Faxing and Electronic Mailing, Inventory Management, Mail Sorting and Distribution, Meeting Coordination and Scheduling, Message Management, Receptionist Tasks, Special Projects, Spreadsheet Preparation, Travel Arrangements, and Word Processing and Typing. Must possess basic skills to include:
Advanced skill in composing and writing business correspondence
Intermediate or better PowerPoint skills
Basic to Intermediate Excel skills
Advanced Outlook skills
Advanced travel planning skills
Basic knowledge of expense reporting
CUSTOMER SERVICE (ADVANCED): - A continuing focus on the needs and requirements of customers, anticipating their needs, remaining sensitive to customers while performing services for them, responsive to customer needs.
AD HOC REPORTING (INTERMEDIATE): - The ability to access information from databases and prepare reports.
NETWORKING (INTERMEDIATE): - Build relationships through industry contacts, professional organizations and individuals.
PURCHASING - (INTERMEDIATE): - Experienced in authorizing and administering procurement contracts and contract changes within designated commitment authority. Has had a prominent role in procurement, materials management, sourcing and logistics management, and supply chain management that fall within the scope of responsibility. Acts as an authorized agent of the company with responsibility for managing supplier-related activities and authority to commit company resources through contracts and agreements. Keeps current on competitors' buying practices. Conducts studies for new materials and services. Works with Sales and Marketing to translate a sales forecast into a procurement plan.
HUMAN RESOURCES POLICIES AND PROCEDURES (INTERMEDIATE): - Knowledge, adherence and application of human resources policies and procedures.
Organizational Impact: Executes job responsibilitieswith the understanding of how output would affect and impact other areasrelated to own job area/team with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Analyzesmoderately complex problems using technical experience and judgment.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has expanded knowledge gainedthrough experience within a professional area.
Team Interaction: Provides formal guidance and supportto team members.
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy andenthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gainknowledge in new areas. Manages small staff
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regularcontact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informalopportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes groupinteractions and modifies one's own communication style to suit differentsituations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES:
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understandcurrent and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes servicesto better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems fromdifferent angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunitiesand develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Providesongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increaseemployees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY:
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formaland informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issuespromptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies variouslearning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlyingcauses of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements:Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performsroutine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY:
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense ofownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Appliesunderstanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources fora department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strongunderstanding of the information or data to identify and elevateopportunities.
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies newideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processesbeyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm forlearning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-termchallenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/orproblems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces changeinstead of emphasizing negative elements.
· Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) or equivalent experience
· 5 years of relevant experience
· Position is exempt, and flexibility is key. Typically, you will be in the office 7:00AM-4:00PM, but the ability to work some evenings and weekends is a must.
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
· US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center at http://www.vanderbilthealth.com/billwilkerson/ ), 12 adult and 10 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
· Truven Health Analytics: among the top 50 cardiovascular hospitals in the U.S.
· Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
· The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
· National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
· Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Middle Tennessee
· Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
· American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Downloadthe Vanderbilt University Medical Center Facts 2016-2017 at http://prd-medweb-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/patientandvisitorinfo/files/1038-2828-VUMC-Factbook-2016-MK-PAGES-opt.pdf to learn more about our services and facilities.
Physical Requirements/Strengths needed & Physical Demands:
- Sedentary category requiring exertion up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally and uses negligible amounts of force to move objects. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time.
Occasional: Standing: Remaining on one's feet without moving.
Occasional: Walking: Moving about on foot.
Occasional: Lifting under 35 lbs: Raising and lowering objects under 35 lbs from one level to another
Occasional: Carrying under 35 lbs: Transporting an object holding in hands, arms or shoulders, with help of coworkers or assistive device.
Occasional: Push/Pull: Exerting force to move objects away from or toward.
Occasional: Reaching above shoulders: Extending arms in any direction above shoulders.
Frequent: Sitting: Remaining in seated position
Frequent: Reaching below shoulders: Extending arms in any direction below shoulders.
Frequent: Fingering: Picking, pinching, gripping, working primarily with fingers requiring fine manipulation.
Frequent: Bimanual Dexterity: Requiring the use of both hands.
Continuous: Communication: Expressing or exchanging written/verbal/electronic information.
Continuous: Auditory: Perceiving the variances of sounds, tones and pitches and able to focus on single source of auditory information
Continuous: Vision: Clarity of near vision at 20 inches or less and far vision at 20 feet or more with depth perception, peripheral vision, color vision.
Continuous: Smell: Ability to detect and identify odors.
- Occasional: Chemicals and Gasses: Medications, cleaning chemicals, oxygen, other medical gases used in work area.
Job Administrative and Clerical Support
Organization: Emergency Medicine 104790
Title: Assistant to the Chair
Location: TN-Nashville-Oxford House
Requisition ID: 1807125
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is committed to principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action.