Vanderbilt University Medical Center Computer Operations Specialist - Third Shift in Nashville, Tennessee
The Computer Operation Technician installs, uninstalls, and moves hardware including cabinets, shelves, power strips, rails, fiber/copper/other cables and cable management, servers, storage, and other devices in the Data Center. The technician confirms and labels devices, racks, and cables. The technician works in a standard ticketing system, providing clear, timely, and appropriate communications.
The technician performs these activities under the direction of the Operations Supervisor and/or Operations Manager and follows Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Program Policies, Safety Policies, and Security Policies while meeting requirements for quality and quantity of work. The technician is responsible for maintaining data integrity of all assets in the Data Center.
This position will be responsible for the day-to-day operational needs of data center facilities in a 24 X 7 operating environment. He/she will maintain the proper operating conditions for all IT processing and network equipment to ensure 100% uptime for all systems.
The technician provides remote hands support for any request requiring actions within the data center space to include, but not limited to, server / network equipment racking, provisioning power for new rack installations, data/storage cabling, and hands-on support for problem resolution.
Required Skills :
Physically assist in moving andracking equipment
Able to safely lift and move aminimum of fifty (50) pounds
Excellent verbal and writtencommunication skills
Ability to update asset managementdata as required
Effectively utilizes the ticketmanagement system
Able toInstall/De-Install/Maintain Tier 3 devices (servers, switches, storage andother hardware)
Able to cable systems(power/copper/fiber/other) correctly based on ticket requirements and SOPstandards
Communicates effectively intickets, emails, telephone conversations, and in-person interactions withcustomers, management, and peers
Must work effectively with otherstaff and customers
Must be able to multi-task
Must be able to adapt to changingpriorities, conditions, and circumstances
Must be punctual and reliable
Must have good organization skills
Must have good interpersonalskills for working in a team environment
Must have good time managementskills
May be required to operatematerial handling equipment – server lifts.
Proficiency working with standarddesktop PC tools and applications such as MS Office, MS Outlook, webbrowsers, etc.
Server/Network Hardware Rack andStack experience
Experience working with ticketingsystems.
Working knowledge of computerhardware
Working knowledge of networkingcomponents and infrastructures
Knowledgeable in Data Center bestpractices
Strong cable management skills andexperience running fiber and copper in a data center
Other duties as assigned
Certifications in Data Centertechnologies are desired
Resolves problems by providing notification, escalation and documentation.
Performs inspections and acts as steward of data centers.
Maintains logs and department documentation.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
DATA PLANNING (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS): - Has light experience, training, direct exposure, or past experience working with the skill. May have successfully completed introductory, essentials and concepts training.
DATA REPLICATION (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS): - Has some training, exposure, or light experience in database replication.
DATA WAREHOUSE ACCESS AND REPORTING (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS): - Has light experience or training accessing information to prepare simple reports.
COMPUTER EQUIPMENT OPERATIONS (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS): - Possesses a fundamental knowledge of the operating characteristics of the equipment. Has light experience or a basic understanding of the commands required for operations.
Organizational Impact: Performs tasks that are typically routine that may impact team's performance with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Utilizes some discretion and research to solve routine problems.
Breadth of Knowledge: Applies knowledge of standards, established processes and procedure that apply to your own job.
Team Interaction: Provides guidance to entry level co-workers.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (S2):
- Develops Self and Others: Continuously improves own skills by identifying development opportunities.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships : Seeks to understand colleagues priorities, working styles and develops relationships across areas.
- Communicates Effectively: Openly shares information with others and communicates in a clear and courteous manner.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (S2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service.
- Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns tosupervisors in a timely manner.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (S2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standards.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Shows eagerness to learn new knowledge, technologies, tools or systems and displays willingness to go above and beyond.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (S2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (S2):
- Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them.
- Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action.
- Adapts to Change: Embraces change by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work.
Associate's Degree (or equivalent experience) and 2 years relevant experience
Physical Requirements/Strengths needed & Physical Demands:
- Light Work category requiring exertion up to 20 lbs. of force occasionally and uses negligible amounts of force to move objects.
Occasional: Standing: Remaining on one's feet without moving.
Occasional: Lifting under 35 lbs: Raising and lowering objects under 35 lbs from one level to another
Occasional: Carrying under 35 lbs: Transporting an object holding in hands, arms or shoulders, with help of coworkers or assistive device.
Occasional: Push/Pull: Exerting force to move objects away from or toward.
Occasional: Bending/Stooping: Trunk bending downward and forward by bending spine at waist requiring full use of lower extremities and back muscles
Occasional: Balancing: Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing, crouching or maneuvering self, patient and equipment simultaneously while working in large and small spaces
Occasional: Kneeling:Bending legs at knees to come to rest on knee or knees.
Occasional: Crouching/Squatting: Bending body downward and forward by bending legs and spine.Reaching above shoulders: Extending arms in any direction above shoulders.
Occasional: Reaching above shoulders: Extending arms in any direction above shoulders.
Occasional: Handling: Seizing, holding, grasping, turning or otherwise working with hand or hands.
Frequent: Sitting: Remaining in seated position
Frequent: Walking: Moving about on foot.
Frequent: Reaching below shoulders: Extending arms in any direction below shoulders.
Frequent: Fingering: Picking, pinching, gripping, working primarily with fingers requiring fine manipulation.
Frequent: Bimanual Dexterity: Requiring the use of both hands.
Continuous: Communication: Expressing or exchanging written/verbal/electronic information.
Continuous: Auditory: Perceiving the variances of sounds, tones and pitches and able to focus on single source of auditory information
Continuous: Vision: Clarity of near vision at 20 inches or less and far vision at 20 feet or more with depth perception, peripheral vision, color vision.
Continuous: Smell: Ability to detect and identify odors.
Job Information Technology
Organization: VUMC IT Data Operations Center 108059
Title: Computer Operations Specialist - Third Shift
Location: TN-Nashville-Vanderbilt Hospital (VUH)
Requisition ID: 1804298