Vanderbilt University Medical Center Cytotechnologist II ( CT ) - VUMC Diagnostic Anatomic Surgical Cytopathology Laboratories in Nashville, Tennessee
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt’s mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Click Here To View The VUMC Promise of Discovery
Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC) has been rated the #1 Hospital in Nashville and the state of Tennessee by the US News & World Report. VUMC’s Diagnostic Laboratories - consisting of Laboratory Client Services (LCS), Clinical Pathology Services (CPS), Diagnostic Molecular & Genetics Services (DMGS), and Anatomic Pathology Services (APS) - have state-of-the-art automation and exceptional employees to meet the demands of accurately and timely performance of tests, while providing our patients and their families with enhanced and exceptional care. VUMC is rated in the Top 100 Most Wired Hospitals with advanced LIS systems and technologies.
Vanderbilt’s Diagnostic Laboratories support adult and pediatric care for inpatient and outpatient settings. Our fast-paced, team oriented culture gives you the opportunity to contribute to breakthroughs with healthcare advancements. We support your career growth with a comprehensive medical laboratory science program and a established Professional Advancement Ladder (PAL).
Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC) is seeking to hire a Cytotechnician II, whom will have overall responsibilities for preparation of gynecologic and non-gynecologic specimens for microscopic examination by cytotechnologists and pathologists with occasional guidance. For more information regarding the physical requirements and environmental conditions for this job, please click here at http://www.vanderbilt.edu/work-at-vanderbilt/requirements/nursing1.pdf .
Prepares specimens according to defined procedures and ensures proper patient identification throughout the preparatory process.
Document necessary quality control records including temperature charts, stain quality, phone call log, etc.
Performs routine equipment maintenance and repairs.
Manages supply inventory to meet defined par levels to support testing and minimize expiration of products.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
LABORATORY PRACTICES (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate laboratory practices in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Generally works under the direction of others while accomplishing assignments.
PATHOLOGY (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate pathology in practical applications of moderate difficulty.
EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE - (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate the ability to maintain equipment, products, or systems in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Assures that parts inventory is sufficient.
QUALITY ASSURANCE - (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS): - Understands the goal of increasing organizational productivity and individual performance by making the products and services within your work assignments more efficient and more effective. Demonstrates quality management practices on the job which result in superior products and services delivered.
Organizational Impact: Performs tasks that are typically routine that may impact team's performance with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Utilizes some discretion and research to solve routine problems.
Breadth of Knowledge: Applies knowledge of standards, established processes and procedure that apply to your own job.
Team Interaction: Provides guidance to entry level co-workers.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (S2):
- Develops Self and Others: Continuously improves own skills by identifying development opportunities.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Seeks to understand colleagues priorities, working styles and develops relationships across areas.
- Communicates Effectively: Openly shares information with others and communicates in a clear and courteous manner.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (S2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service.
- Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns to supervisors in a timely manner.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (S2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standards.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Shows eagerness to learn new knowledge, technologies, tools or systems and displays willingness to go above and beyond.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (S2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (S2):
- Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them.
- Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action.
- Adapts to Change: Embraces change by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work.
JOB CODE INFORMATION:
Job Code: 3841
Job Stream Description: Professional
Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent experience) and < 1 year relevant industry
Cytotechnologist (ASCP) Required (or eligibility to obtain)
TN special analyst license for Cytotechnology: Cytotechnologist (ASCP)National certification obtained on or after August 1, 1988 must also submit proof that certification was awarded based upon the applicant's possession of a baccalaureate degree earned at a regionally accredited college/university and cytology training from a school accredited by the Committee on Allied Health Education and Accreditation (CAHEA), Commission of Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or other accrediting body acceptable to the Board. National certification obtained prior to August 1, 1988 need only submit proof that national certification was awarded regardless of the prerequisites upon which it was based.
- Full-Time, Days
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center at http://www.vanderbilthealth.com/billwilkerson/ ), 12 adult and 10 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
Truven Health Analytics: among the top 50 cardiovascular hospitals in the U.S.
Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Tennessee
Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Download the Vanderbilt University Medical Center Facts 2016-2017 at https://www.vanderbilthealth.com/main/39107 to learn more about our services and facilities.
Job Clinical Labs/Pathology
Organization: Cytopathology 201464
Title: Cytotechnologist II ( CT ) - VUMC Diagnostic Anatomic Surgical Cytopathology Laboratories
Location: TN-Nashville-The Vanderbilt Clinic (TVC)
Requisition ID: 1802873