Vanderbilt University Medical Center Division Counsel - Employment / Title IX in Nashville, Tennessee
Reporting to the Managing Counsel for Healthcare Delivery and Operations, the Division Counsel, Employment and Title IX will provide a broad range of healthcare legal services, with a strong emphasis on employment and matters where Title IX issues arise. In this newly created role, the Division Counsel, Employment and Title IX will collaborate effectively with VUMC’s programs in Allied Health, Human Resources and other internal stakeholders, and will have specific responsibility for collaborating in the development of Title IX related policies and procedures in connection with VUMC’s Allied Health Programs and other programs. In addition, the Division Counsel, Employment and Title IX will collaborate and liaise effectively with human resources representatives and the Title IX Coordinator on developing an institutional Title IX framework and program including training, education, coordination and monitoring.
The Division Counsel, Employment and Title IX should be a strategic thinker, an approachable adviser and a strong relationship builder who thrives in a challenging environment and is clearly aligned with VUMC’s values.
The Division Counsel, Employment and Title IX provides legal analysis and advice in complex areas, and is responsible for providing effective legal advice for employment and Title IX matters. T
Responsibilities will include:
· Advise VUMC on compliance with federal and state regulations they relate to labor and employment, Title IX, FERPA, and other U.S. Department of Education and state regulatory requirements.
· Advise on VUMC policies and procedures as relates to employment practices and Title IX and related regulatory issues.
· Advise on legal matters that arise from any complaints relating to sexual misconduct, sexual harassment and similar matters.
· Advise and develop strong collaboration with the VUMC designated Title IX Coordinator, human resources and stakeholders who are responsible for investigating allegations and complaints.
· Prioritize and timely manage labor and employment and Title IX issues, including responding to to legal challenges and/or threatened litigation.
· Assists VUMC administration, faculty and staff in the development of legal strategies which consider VUMC’s workforce needs and priorities, and take into account risk and legal exposure.
· Advise physicians, faculty and staff on employment policies and legally appropriate responses to any complaints.
· Engage, manage and oversee outside counsel when necessary.
Goals and Objectives
The successful candidate will strive to achieve the following goals:
· Gain credibility, trust, and respect of the VUMC legal team, HR team and other key stakeholders.
· Provide appropriate advice in order that employment issues are handled as effectively and efficiently as possible.
· Build relationships and understand corporate structure; asks questions; can navigate key influencers and understand who to include in key discussions.
· Serve as primary legal resource with respect to Title IX and related regulatory matters; advise and work with VUMC stakeholders to assist in meeting all applicable federal and state requirements, and provide appropriate legal advice in the development of related internal processes.
· Be recognized as insightful, responsive, collaborative, and approachable with strong follow-through.
· Become familiar with the Vanderbilt University Medical Center structure and mission critical components.
· Support the innovative and highly collaborative culture of the Office of Legal Affairs and the organization by demonstrating understanding of the business of healthcare and related employment law and Title IX issues.
· Advise and consult on legal and regulatory matters related to employment and Title IX.
· Appropriate judgment and skill to interpret the intent of the laws and regulations as applies to specific areas of work.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is seeking an individual with the following qualifications to make a long-term commitment to the organization.
• J.D. from an accredited law school and membership in the State Bar of Tennessee, or eligibility for admission based on reciprocity.
· Must have a minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible labor and employment law and Title IX experience through work in-house or with academic clients. Specific experience working in or with higher education clients is required.
· Requires proficiency in understanding of applicable laws, industry practices, and enforcement trends to identify, assess, mitigate and resolve legal risks associated with employment matters and Title IX activities Clery Act, FERPA, VAWA, and other U.S. Department of Education and state regulatory requirements, as well as advise on compliance, training and investigations.
· In-depth abilities in collaboration, facilitation, and strategic and creative thinking.
· In-depth understanding of highly complex legal issues and ability to foresee implications in specialty area.
· Advanced interpersonal communication skills, including proven ability to actively listen, negotiate, persuade and educate.
· Skills to gain trust and build credibility with a broad group of colleagues and clients, to include senior leaders.
· Advanced communication skills and ability to create and deliver effective communications appropriate to a particular audience.
· Advanced legal research and analytical skills; ability to readily identify critical legislative changes in area of specialty and communicate as appropriate.
· Ability to effectively communicate legal advice, even when unpopular, earning credibility and support from colleagues.
· Advanced skills in facilitating policy review and changes.
· Ability to reliably represent institutional interests persuasively to internal and external parties.
· Developing ability to mentor and coach all levels of staff.
· Proven ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion and tact when handling sensitive or potentially sensitive issues.
· Experience in a fast-moving and solution-oriented environment.
This position requires a JD and 5 years of experience...
Licensure, Certification, and/or Registration (LCR):
Job Professional and Managerial
Organization: OLA (Legal Affairs) 20 108262
Title: Division Counsel - Employment / Title IX
Location: TN-Nashville-2525 West End Ave
Requisition ID: 1806544