Vanderbilt University Medical Center Histotech HTL - VUMC Diagnostic Anatomic Surgical Pathology Laboratories in Nashville, Tennessee
DiscoverVanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt’s mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
ClickHere To View The VUMC Promise of Discovery
Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC) has been rated the #1 Hospital in Nashville and the state of Tennessee by the US News & World Report. VUMC’s Diagnostic Laboratories consist of Laboratory Client Services (LCS), Clinical Pathology Services (CPS), Diagnostic Molecular & Genetics Services (DMGS), and Anatomic Pathology Services (APS). We have state-of-the-art automation and exceptional employees to meet the demands of accurately and timely performance of tests, while providing our patients and their families with enhanced and exceptional care. VUMC is rated in the Top 100 Most Wired Hospitals with advanced LIS systems and technologies. We support your career growth with a comprehensive medical laboratory science program, consisting of ten students, and offer a established Professional Advancement Ladder (PAL) for long-term career growth.
Prepares tissue specimens for microscopic examinations and handles the more specialized histo- and immunocyto-chemistry testing within the Dept of Anatomic Pathology under occasional guidance; maintains adequate quality control data. Processes specimens for molecular testing. Troubleshoots processes and follows up as needed. Responsible for high volume workload and stat requests. For more information regarding the physical requirements and environmental conditions for this job, please click here at http://www.vanderbilt.edu/work-at-vanderbilt/requirements/ClinicalServices36.pdf
Completes daily workload as assigned to includeembedding, cutting, staining (including histo and immunocytochemical procedures)and any specific procedures requested by pathologist to support patientdiagnosis.
Performs and documents instrument maintenance;maintains records relating to quality control and other functions.
Trains and provides direction/support to the Histotechnologistsand Histotechnicians.
Grossly identify tissue for adequacy in the operatingroom, communicate to Attending/Fellow, divide core and place inappropriate fixatives.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview ofthe position and additional duties may be assigned.
DIAGNOSTIC TESTING (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate diagnostic testing in practical applications of moderate difficulty.
EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE - (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate the ability to maintain equipment, products, or systems in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Assures that parts inventory is sufficient.
QUALITY ASSURANCE - (NOVICE): - Has provided continuous analysis and evaluation of assignment work processes, constantly striving for improvement in the way tasks and activities are accomplished by questioning their value to the process and contributing creative solutions. Has participated in the process of establishing, communicating and monitoring standards for quality and excellence. Demonstrates the ability to actually work on and improve a current business process, product or service.
MENTORING & COACHING - (NOVICE): - Constructively trains and mentors others by providing positive direction and feedback. Has provided constructive suggestions to improve a situation. Knows how to remove roadblocks to success and avoids judgments at all times. Makes a concerted effort to pass on experiences and job information that can be learned easily.
Organizational Impact: Executes job responsibilitieswith the understanding of how output would affect and impact other areasrelated to own job area/team with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Analyzesmoderately complex problems using technical experience and judgment.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has expanded knowledge gainedthrough experience within a professional area.
Team Interaction: Provides informal guidance andsupport to team members.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P2):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy andenthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gainknowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regularcontact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informalopportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes groupinteractions and modifies one's own communication style to suit differentsituations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understandcurrent and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes servicesto better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems fromdifferent angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunitiesand develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Providesongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees'effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formaland informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issuespromptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies variouslearning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlyingcauses of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements:Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performsroutine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense ofownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Appliesunderstanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources fora department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strongunderstanding of the information or data to identify and elevateopportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P2):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies newideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processesbeyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm forlearning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-termchallenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/orproblems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces changeinstead of emphasizing negative elements.
Active HTL or HT Certification and Bachelor’s Degree(or equivalent experience) and 1 year relevant experience with eligibilityto obtain
Minimum of 3 years relevant experience highly desired
- 30 hours Full-Time withShift Differential, 3 rd Shift
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
#1hospital in the nation for Burn & Trauma
#1hospital in Tennessee for Cardiovascular
US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Providerin Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center at http://www.vanderbilthealth.com/billwilkerson/ ), 9 adult and 9 pediatric clinical specialties rankedamong the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
Truven Health Analytics: among the top 100 hospitals in the US
Truven Analytics: Listedin the top 15 with Cardiology Residents
Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals inAmerica"
Becker's :Ingram Cancer Center is in the top 100 with Oncology
The Leapfrog Group: grade"A" in Hospital Safety Score
Leapfrog: #1Monroe Carell JR. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt
National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medicalresearch in the US
Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored inTennessee
Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems inthe US
Job Clinical Labs/Pathology
Organization: Histopathology 201465
Title: Histotech HTL - VUMC Diagnostic Anatomic Surgical Pathology Laboratories
Location: TN-Nashville-The Vanderbilt Clinic (TVC)
Requisition ID: 1805698