Vanderbilt University Medical Center Lab Associate II Nights - VUMC Diagnostic Specimen Receiving Laboratories in Nashville, Tennessee
DiscoverVanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt’s mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Click Here ToView The VUMC Promise of Discovery
JOB CODE INFORMATION:
Specimen Receiving - 3rd Shift: 10:00p-6:30a, Sunday-Thursday, Every 3rd weekend and rotating holidays
Job Code: 5462
Job Stream Description: Support/Technical
Oversees the daily operations, staffing, and workflow in the department to ensure consistent superior customer service and turnaround time independently. Oversees consistent compliance with department policies, procedures, and operational guidelines and has a key role in training, competency assessment, safety and compliance. In the absence of an on-site supervisor, will assume a leadership role. For more information regarding the physical requirements and environmental conditions for this job, please click here at https://hr.mc.vanderbilt.edu/careers/requirements/PhysicalRequirementsGroup57.pdf .
Functions in a lead role to oversee daily operations, provide training and mentor other staff.
Performs Phlebotomy to age specific guidelines.
Orders and processes patient specimens.
Delivery and receipt of laboratory specimens.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
PATIENT ASSESSMENT (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates mastery of patient assessments in practical applications of a difficult nature. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to be capable of successfully delivering results without requiring support and instruction from others. Able to train and educate by setting the example, giving instruction, providing leadership, and generally raising the level of performance of others while on the job.
PATHOLOGY (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates mastery of pathology in practical applications of a difficult nature. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to be capable of successfully delivering results without requiring support and instruction from others. Able to train and educate by setting the example, giving instruction, providing leadership, and generally raising the level of performance of others while on the job.
MENTORING & COACHING - (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates good training and mentoring practices on a regular basis. Acts as a mentor to a person in need of support and direction. Makes a concerted effort to seek problem definition so it is clearly understood, clarifying and refining goals, as needed. Knows how to make personal gains apparent, supporting pride in accomplishment. Cites specific examples of conduct and responds to lack of progress in constructive ways. Encourages two way dialogue, soliciting opinions of people being trained and mentored. Explores alternative solutions and approaches which make a person or team more likely to accomplish their goals.
EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE - (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate the ability to maintain equipment, products, or systems in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Assures that parts inventory is sufficient.
QUALITY ASSURANCE - (INTERMEDIATE): - Maintains an open mind and appreciation of the big picture rather than rushing to traditional or historical conclusions or approaches. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to be capable of successfully demonstrating quality management techniques with a group without requiring support and instruction from others. Able to train and educate by setting the example, giving instruction, providing leadership, and generally raising the level of performance of others. Has made and facilitated improvements to business processes within the scope of project assignments. Consistently delivers superior products and services.
CUSTOMER SERVICE - (INTERMEDIATE): - Keeps management informed on all aspects of one or more projects. Takes personal responsibility to ensure external and internal customer satisfaction is met despite pressures and/or significant obstacles. Discusses options with customer for alternative ways to meet expectations cost-effectively and efficiently. Commands respect and confidence from customers, and identifies, influences and creates business opportunities. Negotiates with customers for changes in service levels, understanding the business rationale for those changes. Deals with unexpected customer demands smoothly and without conflict.
Organizational Impact: Independently performs non-routine tasks that significantly impact team and other related teams.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Gathers and analyzes data to solve problems that arise with little or no precedent.
Breadth of Knowledge: Applies advanced job knowledge and has developed a breadth of skills in other areas.
Team Interaction: Serves as a lead for the team by providing expertise and guidance to team members.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (S4):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one’s own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (S4):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees’ effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (S4):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (S4):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (S4):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
High School Diploma or GED and 5 years relevant experience
Licensure, Certification, and/or Registration (LCR):
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 HealthCare Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( BillWilkerson Center at http://www.vanderbilthealth.com/billwilkerson/ ), 12 adult and 10 pediatric clinical specialties ranked amongthe nation's best, #15 Education and Training
Truven Health Analytics: among the top 50 cardiovascularhospitals in the U.S.
Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 GreatestHospitals in America"
The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital SafetyScore
National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees formedical research in the US
Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only grouphonored in Tennessee
Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
American Hospital Association: among the 100 "MostWired" medical systems in the US
Download the VanderbiltUniversity Medical Center Facts 2016-2017 at https://www.vanderbilthealth.com/main/39107 to learn moreabout our services and facilities.
Job Clinical Labs/Pathology
Organization: Specimen Receiving - 3rd Shift 201441
Title: Lab Associate II Nights - VUMC Diagnostic Specimen Receiving Laboratories
Location: TN-Nashville-The Vanderbilt Clinic (TVC)
Requisition ID: 1708477