Vanderbilt University Medical Center Managing Counsel - Legal Operations and Administration in Nashville, Tennessee
Managing Counsel - Legal Operations and Administration
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt’s mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Click Here To View The VUMC Promise of Discovery
Assist and support the General Counsel, VUMC’s top legal services executive in overseeing, directing and executing all phases of the responsibilities included within the Office of General Counsel. Provides advice and counsel regarding legal matters and ensures implementation of General Counsel’s policies and procedures. Performs legal and other tasks delegated by the General Counsel.
• Performs legal tasks delegated by the General Counsel, including providing legal advice on the broad scope of legal, regulatory and legislative issues, and issues arising out of contracts, transactions, employment issues and malpractice cases.
• Drafts contracts, letters of intent, affiliation agreements, memoranda of understanding, and other legal agreements.
• Supports the General Counsel in the preparation and review of materials required for the support of the VUMC Board of Directors and its Committees. Attends meetings of the Board and Board Committees as requested by the General Counsel.
• Works with the General Counsel to develop and maintain a system of workflow tracking and management for the Office of General Counsel.
• Promotes best business practices and advises on operational and regulatory issues such as reimbursement, external audits, contracting with payers, as well as medical staff governance matters.
• Serves as liaison as directed between the General Counsel and his/her direct reports to assure timely response to inquiries for decision and direction from within the Office of General Counsel as well as to assist in response to questions or inquiries from internal business partners and from external stakeholders.
• Works with the General Counsel and his/her direct reports to develop goals, objectives, policies and procedures for areas reporting to the Office of General Counsel. As directed by the General Counsel, leads and coordinates projects, innovation, improvement and development of new programs for areas of responsibility within the Office of General Counsel.
• Serves as liaison with the business managers and/or administrative officers for teams or departments included within the Office of General Counsel, including Legal Affairs, Risk & Insurance Management, and Compliance.
• Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Integrate knowledge and in-depth analysis from several areas to resolve complex problems that are both technical and operational.
• Breadth of Knowledge: Applies comprehensive knowledge of professional/technical area and broad management knowledge of other professional areas to carry out objectives.
• Team Interaction: Leads multiple departments with a function.
• Operations Focused: Assist the Generals Counsel in ensuring that the departments and/or teams comprising the Office of General Counsel are performing well and meeting the operating needs of the organization and its stakeholders.
• Bachelor’s and Juris Doctor (Required)
• Licensure as an Attorney in Tennesse (Required)
• Minimum ten (10) years relevant experience (Required)
• Experience in an academic medical center setting (Required)
VUMC Recent Accomplishments:
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center at http://www.vanderbilthealth.com/billwilkerson/ ), 12 adult and 10 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
Truven Health Analytics: among the top 50 cardiovascular hospitals in the U.S.
Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Middle Tennessee
Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Bachelor’s and Juris Doctor (Required)
Licensure as an Attorney in Tennesse (Required)
Minimum ten (10) years relevant experience (Required)
Experience in an academic medical center setting (Required)
Licensure, Certification, and/or Registration (LCR):
Job Professional and Managerial
Organization: OLA & RIM - Admin 108242
Title: Managing Counsel - Legal Operations and Administration
Location: TN-Nashville-2525 West End Ave
Requisition ID: 1803289