Vanderbilt University Medical Center Medical Assistant- Heart & Vascular Institute (Knoxville)- FT Days- VUMC in Nashville, Tennessee
JOB CODE INFORMATION:
Job Code: 6779
Job Stream Description: Support/Technical
Supports the licensed healthcare team in performing office examinations and procedures by organizing and managing clinic patient flow, gathering and documenting patient screening data, assist with patient and family education and communication with patient's health care team.
Directs and supports patient flow as well as unit operations by maintaining supplies, equipment and unit environmental standards.
Facilitates identification of resources to meet patient healthcare needs.
Performs/assists with procedures according to organizational/departmental standards.
Collects and documents patient screening data for the healthcare team.
Assists with patient and family education.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
CLINICAL COMPETENCIES (NOVICE): - Demonstrates sufficient fundamental proficiency to assist and perform clinical care including but not limited to vital signs, phlebotomy, specimen collection and point of care testing as directed by unit standards.
CLINICAL PATIENT DOCUMENTATION (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS): - Has limited experience or training working with clinical applications for patient documentation.
ENVIRONMENT OF CARE (NOVICE): - Demonstrates sufficient fundamental proficiency with set up and maintenance of patient exam room, supplies and equipment.
PLANNING & ORGANIZING (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS): - Demonstrates ability to anticipate basic resource needs, identify discrete tasks, set priorities, define dependencies, schedule activities, meet deadlines, and organize work for own assignments and responsibilities. Appropriately matches equipment, and capital resources to task demands. Prepares and presents clear and accurate status reports on projects and assignments.
Organizational Impact: Performs tasks that are typically routine that may impact team's performance with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Utilizes some discretion and research to solve routine problems.
Breadth of Knowledge: Applies knowledge of standards, established processes and procedure that apply to your own job.
Team Interaction: Provides guidance to entry level co-workers.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (S2):
- Develops Self and Others: Continuously improves own skills by identifying development opportunities.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships : Seeks to understand colleagues priorities, working styles and develops relationships across areas.
- Communicates Effectively: Openly shares information with others and communicates in a clear and courteous manner.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (S2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service.
- Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns tosupervisors in a timely manner.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (S2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standards.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Shows eagerness to learn new knowledge, technologies, tools or systems and displays willingness to go above and beyond.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (S2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (S2):
- Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them.
- Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action.
- Adapts to Change: Embraces change by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work.
High School Diploma or GED (or equivalent experience) and < 1 year relevant industry
Licensure, Certification, and/or Registration (LCR):
Additional Qualification Information:
- Effective October 2015 all new hire Medical Assistants will be required to have a certification from one of the VUMC approved MA programs. Vanderbilt endorsed MA certifications: American Medical Technologists (AMT), American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT), National Healthcareer Association (NHA), National Association for Health Professionals (NAHP). Others organizations may be considered on a case by case basis. Medical Assistants hired prior to October 2015 will have until October 1, 2017 to obtain certification via one of the approved MA programs.
Physical Requirements/Strengths needed & Physical Demands:
- Medium Work category requiring exertion up to 50lbs of force occasionally and/or up to 20 of force frequently and/or up to 10 of force continually to move objects.
Occasional: Lifting under 35 lbs: Raising and lowering objects under 35 lbs from one level to another
Occasional: Lifting over 35 lbs: Raising and lowering objects from one level to another, includes upward pulling over 35 lbs, with help of coworkers or assistive device
Occasional: Push/Pull: Exerting force to move objects away from or toward.
Occasional: Bending/Stooping: Trunk bending downward and forward by bending spine at waist requiring full use of lower extremities and back muscles
Occasional: Balancing: Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing, crouching or maneuvering self, patient and equipment simultaneously while working in large and small spaces
Occasional: Climbing: Ascending or descending stairs/ramps using feet and legs and/or hands and arms.
Occasional: Kneeling:Bending legs at knees to come to rest on knee or knees.
Occasional: Crouching/Squatting: Bending body downward and forward by bending legs and spine.Reaching above shoulders: Extending arms in any direction above shoulders.
Occasional: Reaching above shoulders: Extending arms in any direction above shoulders.
Occasional: Handling: Seizing, holding, grasping, turning or otherwise working with hand or hands.
Occasional: Bimanual Dexterity: Requiring the use of both hands.
Frequent: Sitting: Remaining in seated position
Frequent: Standing: Remaining on one's feet without moving.
Frequent: Carrying under 35 lbs: Transporting an object holding in hands, arms or shoulders, with help of coworkers or assistive device.
Frequent: Reaching below shoulders: Extending arms in any direction below shoulders.
Frequent: Fingering: Picking, pinching, gripping, working primarily with fingers requiring fine manipulation.
Continuous: Walking: Moving about on foot.
Continuous: Communication: Expressing or exchanging written/verbal/electronic information.
Continuous: Auditory: Perceiving the variances of sounds, tones and pitches and able to focus on single source of auditory information
Continuous: Vision: Clarity of near vision at 20 inches or less and far vision at 20 feet or more with depth perception, peripheral vision, color vision.
Continuous: Smell: Ability to detect and identify odors.
Occasional: Chemicals and Gasses: Medications, cleaning chemicals, oxygen, other medical gases used in work area.
Occasional: Pathogens: Risk of exposure to bloodborne pathogens and other contagious illnesses.
Job Medical Assistant/Patient Care Technician
Organization: VHVI OP LEB-FKY-Pack-Go 312491
Title: Medical Assistant- Heart & Vascular Institute (Knoxville)- FT Days- VUMC
Location: TN-Nashville-Medical Center East (MCE) - North Tower
Requisition ID: 1807062
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is committed to principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action.