Vanderbilt University Medical Center Registration Specialist 7a-7:30p (ED Registration & Discharge VUH) in Nashville, Tennessee
JOB CODE INFORMATION:
Job Code: 6200
Job Stream Description: Support/Technical
Responsible for the onsite registration, arrival processes, discharge and insurance validation, with occasional guidance. Resolves issues related to registration, billing, insurance, and payment of accounts.
Performs all assigned area functions per departmental guidelines.
Performs administrative functions to ensure the department operates according to policies, procedures and protocols.
Ensures that all cases are entered accurately and thoroughly into the admissions, discharge, transfer and billing system.
Provides customer service and status updates in waiting room, in-room, and prior to patient departure.
Requests payment and provides payment plan information for patient account balances when necessary.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
CUSTOMER SERVICE (NOVICE): - A continuing focus on the needs and requirements of customers, anticipating their needs, remaining sensitive to customers while performing services for them, responsive to customer needs.
CRITICAL THINKING (NOVICE): - The objective analysis and evaluation of an issue in order to form a judgment.
DATA ENTRY (NOVICE): - The ability to transcribe information from the original source into an electronic system according to written and verbal instructions efficiently and accurately.
DOCUMENTATION (NOVICE): - Ensures that all documentation is complete, accurate, thorough, and compliant.
SYSTEM KNOWLEDGE (NOVICE): - Knowledge of the operation and support of the system from the standpoint of computer operations, network operations, and/or technical support.
Organizational Impact: Performs tasks that are typically routine that may impact team's performance with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Utilizes some discretion and research to solve routine problems.
Breadth of Knowledge: Applies knowledge of standards, established processes and procedure that apply to your own job.
Team Interaction: Provides guidance to entry level co-workers.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (S2):
- Develops Self and Others: Continuously improves own skills by identifying development opportunities.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships : Seeks to understand colleagues priorities, working styles and develops relationships across areas.
- Communicates Effectively: Openly shares information with others and communicates in a clear and courteous manner.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (S2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service.
- Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns tosupervisors in a timely manner.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (S2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standards.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Shows eagerness to learn new knowledge, technologies, tools or systems and displays willingness to go above and beyond.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (S2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (S2):
- Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them.
- Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action.
- Adapts to Change: Embraces change by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work.
High School Diploma or GED (or equivalent experience) and 2 years relevant experience
Licensure, Certification, and/or Registration (LCR):
Physical Requirements/Strengths needed & Physical Demands:
- Medium Work category requiring exertion up to 50lbs of force occasionally and/or up to 20 of force frequently and/or up to 10 of force continually to move objects.
Occasional: Sitting: Remaining in seated position
Occasional: Lifting under 35 lbs: Raising and lowering objects under 35 lbs from one level to another
Occasional: Carrying under 35 lbs: Transporting an object holding in hands, arms or shoulders, with help of coworkers or assistive device.
Occasional: Bending/Stooping: Trunk bending downward and forward by bending spine at waist requiring full use of lower extremities and back muscles
Occasional: Reaching above shoulders: Extending arms in any direction above shoulders.
Occasional: Reaching below shoulders: Extending arms in any direction below shoulders.
Occasional: Bimanual Dexterity: Requiring the use of both hands.
Frequent: Walking: Moving about on foot.
Frequent: Push/Pull: Exerting force to move objects away from or toward.
Frequent: Handling: Seizing, holding, grasping, turning or otherwise working with hand or hands.
Frequent: Fingering: Picking, pinching, gripping, working primarily with fingers requiring fine manipulation.
Occasional: Smell: Ability to detect and identify odors.
Continuous: Communication: Expressing or exchanging written/verbal/electronic information.
Continuous: Auditory: Perceiving the variances of sounds, tones and pitches and able to focus on single source of auditory information
Continuous: Vision: Clarity of near vision at 20 inches or less and far vision at 20 feet or more with depth perception, peripheral vision, color vision.
Occasional: Chemicals and Gasses: Medications, cleaning chemicals, oxygen, other medical gases used in work area.
Frequent: Pathogens: Risk of exposure to bloodborne pathogens and other contagious illnesses.
Job Medical Coding and Billing
Organization: ED Reg & Discharge (VUH) 108474
Title: Registration Specialist 7a-7:30p (ED Registration & Discharge VUH)
Location: TN-Nashville-Vanderbilt Hospital (VUH)
Requisition ID: 1805587