Vanderbilt University Medical Center Research Assistant in Nashville, Tennessee
Requisition Number 1803622
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt’s mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Click Here To View The VUMC Promise of Discovery
The Osher Center for Integrative Medicine at Vanderbilt is where you’ll find health care designed around your whole health: mind, body, and spirit. Integrative medicine goes beyond just treating your symptoms. It’s an approach to care that empowers you to be active in your healing and lifelong wellness. Integrative medicine uses proven, research-based therapies such as yoga, acupuncture, mind-body counseling and massage that work with traditional medicine to help you achieve better health. For additional information, please visit https://www.vanderbilthealth.com/osher/ .
The Contemplative Neuroscience and Integrative Medicine lab at http://davidvago.bwh.harvard.edu/contemplative-neuroscience-and-integrative-medicine-cnim-laboratory/ (CNIM) at the Osher Center for Integrative Medicine at https://www.vanderbilthealth.com/osher/ at Vanderbilt University Medical Center invites applications for a research assistant position. The mission of The Osher center’s CNIM research laboratory is to alleviate suffering and improve well-being through rigorous investigation of the mind. Under the direction of David Vago, PhD at https://faculty.mc.vanderbilt.edu/Faculty/Details/41416 , the CNIM utilizes a translational approach to identify and characterize neurobiological substrates mediating psychopathology, to better predict outcomes and clarify potential biologically-based diagnostic and therapeutic strategies for those suffering with mental illness and chronic pain.Mixed research methods of systems biology, multi-modal neuroimaging (fMRI, MRI, DTI, EEG-fMRI), genomic and neuroendocrine science, innovation/ technology, psychological, cognitive-behavioral and first-person phenomenological analyses are used in a number of research initiatives that focus on the basic science and clinical applications of mind-brain-body and integrative medicine techniques.
In this pivotal, rewarding role, you will be responsible for assisting with study coordination including, but not limited to, roles such as: working directly with patients; collecting behavioral, electrophysiological, neuroimaging, and neuroendocrine data; scheduling and coordinating appointments; assisting in both structural and functional MRI scans of patient populations; data entry; and preparation of manuscripts, presentations, and/or grants. This position is oriented towards supporting Integrative Medicine Research with a focus on supporting basic neuroscience and clinical trials protocols for studying the effects of meditation, yoga, and other integrative health modalities in a health care setting.
· Collect and organize data from a variety of reference sources
· Prepare charts, graphs, and tables according to accepted research practices
· Perform preliminary analysis
· Assist in investigating and gathering data
· Route questionnaires, record information and distribute results using established procedures
· Assist with recruiting and interviewing study participants
· Provide appropriate documentation for research
· Update manual and/ or automated database file and maintain records
· Assist in the preparation of materials for publication
· Edit and/or type manuscripts according to accepted practices
· Keep abreast of trends in field of study
· Read professional journals and attend meetings and/or seminars
· May supervise student assistants
· Plan and assign work
· May assist in lab maintenance.
· Order supplies and equipment.
· Monitor and maintain inventory control.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Behavioral Sciences, Psychology, Cognitive Neuroscience, or a related discipline
· Experience with wet lab preparations
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
· High attention to detail
· Strong organizational skills
· Interest and/or experience in research, contemplative practice, integrative medicine, and/or neuropsychiatry
· At least 2 years of related experience, preferably in a health-related field involving human subjects or in a medical environment
· Some experience with research programming languages such as Python, Matlab, SPSS, or R
· Familiarity with REDCap programming and database management, programming in E-Prime, Presentation, PsychoPy
· Background in personal meditation practice
This term position has full-time hours with a standard day-time Mon-Fri schedule; flexibility requested and extended based on business needs. A Term position is a staff position that exists for a period longer than six months but is not expected to last beyond one year. Although a position may exist for a specified or indefinite period, staff who accept term positions are not guaranteed employment for the entire period; they are employed for indefinite periods within the limit of the appointment. There are no guarantees of continued employment, either within the term or when the term ends. However, this department is experiencing growth, and based on your performance, there may be additional opportunities!
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
· US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center at http://www.vanderbilthealth.com/billwilkerson/ ), 12 adult and 10 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
· Truven Health Analytics: among the top 50 cardiovascular hospitals in the U.S.
· Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
· The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
· National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
· Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Middle Tennessee
· Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
· American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Download the Vanderbilt University Medical Center Facts 2016-2017 at http://prd-medweb-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/patientandvisitorinfo/files/1038-2828-VUMC-Factbook-2016-MK-PAGES-opt.pdf to learn more about our services and facilities.
Physical Requirements/Strengths needed & Physical Demands:
Occasional: Sitting: Remaining in seated position
Occasional: Standing: Remaining on one's feet without moving.
Occasional: Walking: Moving about on foot.
Occasional: Lifting under 35 lbs: Raising and lowering objects under 35 lbs from one level to another
Occasional: Push/Pull: Exerting force to move objects away from or toward.
Occasional: Bending/Stooping: Trunk bending downward and forward by bending spine at waist requiring full use of lower extremities and back muscles
Occasional: Reaching below shoulders: Extending arms in any direction below shoulders.
Occasional: Handling: Seizing, holding, grasping, turning or otherwise working with hand or hands.
Occasional: Vision: Clarity of near vision at 20 inches or less and far vision at 20 feet or more with depth perception, peripheral vision, color vision.
Frequent: Noise: May include exposure to occupational noise levels which equal or exceed an 8-hr time-weighted average of 85 decibels, requiring enrollment in VUMC's Hearing Conservation Program which includes training, use of hearing protection, and periodic audiometry.
Continuous: Communication: Expressing or exchanging written/verbal/electronic information.
Organization: OCIM (Osher) Admin 201206
Title: Research Assistant
Location: TN-Nashville-3401 West End Ave
Requisition ID: 1803622